Monday, March 1, 2021

The Atlas of Dreams Episode 1: Sins of the Maker by Daniel Cuervonegro



 So this will be a written overtime review. I am starting this review on 8.18.20 and will continue until I finish the book.

I just want to start with I actually came across this author completely on accident. I was going the Bookstagram Academy challenge and was searching under the tag #adultfantasy and was scroll and found some super cool pictures. Turns out these photos were for a new book by an indie author. I looked up the synopsis and I was completely interested in the book. The cover and synopsis sold me. The maps, the art, and everything about this book completely captivated me at first glance.

As I begin reading this book, I get to chapter 2 and immediately have my heart torn from my chest. Somehow Cuervonegro has this ability to build a connection to a character in the span of a chapter and then just tears it all away from you in a second. Talk about rude, in the best way. 

10 chapters into the book and we are still getting a lot of backstory for the characters in the book. There are a lot of them, so this is super important to the plot of the book. Making sure we have a good understanding of who each of the key players is and what they are meant to do, in this world that feels like Final Fantasy. It feels a bit overwhelming at the beginning, but I feel that way about most books that have a lot of world-building in them and character development in the first handful of chapters. 

So let us start off with the belief system of this world. It feels similar to the Christian faith in the sense that there is one God and the people who believe have this idea of you give all to God and that's how you reach salvation. You give away your old self and follow only God. This belief system is also unique though in the fact that God comes back in incarnations. They are currently on the 35th, I believe. 

As I continued on into the book there is some light-hearted moment spread throughout. One with the God Incarnate Sara. She is three and just wants to act like a child. She enjoys her fun and doesn't mind getting a little dirty. This was a moment in the book where you see the innocence of childhood even through the life of God. 

It seems that the author seems to know a lot about Christianity as a lot of the faith system seems to connect to the Christian faith as we know it today. What really interests me is that the characters ask a lot of the same things of their God, as we do as Christians. So it makes it really easy for me to understand their thought process when questioning what God is doing or has done. But what interests me more so is the fact that he has God questioning herself in the form she is in as she sees the world shes made. She looks at the violence and the turmoil going on and begins to wonder how on earth she can fix it. Wondering why they want to kill people to purify the world. 

This is definitely a book you should take slowly. I'm really glad I'm reading it as slow as I am or I feel I'd miss out on a lot of stuff. The more I keep reading the more I see this being a final fantasy video game and I am loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ACOTAR DREAM CAST (Will be Updated as I find more)

 So i'm doing this more for therapy than anything. I have my picks for the A Court of Thorns and Roses TV show, so here we go. *NOTE YOU...