Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

 Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle): Kristoff, Jay: 9781250132130:  Amazon.com: Books


Well here we are friends. It is time for my review of Nevernight by the infamous Mister Kristoff. Right now let me be straight forward, I have heard some people clump this into the YA book community for a long time and I will tell you THIS IS NOT A YA book. I see the same with V. E Schwab's A Darker Shade of Magic as well. Also not a YA book. This is not a great practice and should note how graphic Nevernight is, that I would go as far to put it up against Brom's The Child Thief. (Which I should add was a fantastic book, and I loved it as much as I loved Nevernight.) I feel Kristoff and Brom have a similar Gothic style when it comes to their writing and I am all for it. Nevernight is gory, sexy, dangerous, suspenseful and just down cold and dark when it comes down to it all. It gets a solid 5 out of 5 stars from me. 

Let me just add this, DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS IN THE CAR AT FULL BLAST! Or you can. If you want to get odd looks that is your prerogative. I can't make you do anything you don't want to do and if you like cruising down the road in rush hour traffic listening to people being killed and murdered and descriptive sex scenes, go for it. Because I don't really mind it that much. haha. 

Noting how well thought out this story is should really be taken into consideration. Though sometimes its hard to remember that the main character is a teenager. Though a lot is considered when you know her well developed back story and what is her driving force in the book. What she has seen and what she has done can age someone beyond their years. But I loved that he still left that teenager part of her intact. She had a love interest. She still did things like a teen, but the way she handled other things showed her maturity in many instances where it ended up earning her exactly what she wanted in the end. She grew through the book and I'm really excited to see where Mia's story goes from here. 

Now the magic in this world is so interesting to me. It feels different from most stories I know, but Mia's abilities remind me of a mash up between Tea in the Bone Witch and Emry from Switch Shadows. Both Characters I really loved. Darkens are super interesting and I'm interested to see where her story goes in the next book. I know Jay is going to tear my heart out and I am so ready for it. BRING IT ON JAY KRISTOFF!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ACOTAR DREAM CAST (Will be Updated as I find more)

 So i'm doing this more for therapy than anything. I have my picks for the A Court of Thorns and Roses TV show, so here we go. *NOTE YOU...