Tuesday, August 11, 2020

The Illuminae Files by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman

 Illuminae  Gemina  Amazon.com: Obsidio (The Illuminae Files) (9780553499193): Kaufman ...


Well friends, I finally jumped on the Jay Kristoff band wagon and let me tell you him team up with Kaufman has me sold. I'm not one who normally enjoys sci-fi space style stories, but I really enjoyed this trilogy. I listened to the audio books and I felt like I was listening to a more modern version of the old radio dramas. It was pulled in with the full cast, music and sound effects.

I, honestly, went in not sure if I was going to like these books at all. As I stated before I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi. Like I like star wars, but its just okay and I'm not super invested in the fandom. Definitely more of a high fantasy person. But these books had a thrilling plot and characters that really drove the plot home. " Every story has it's monster" and let me tell you A.I.D.A.N was probably my all time favorite character of the whole trilogy. Crazy psycho computer that has no idea how to comprehend human emotion, learns through its interaction with one human and ultimately gives the ultimate sacrifice. I didn't think i could get invested in an A.I. character, but I was proven wrong on so many levels. A.I.D.A.N did terrible things, but did them with the best intent for Kady to survive.  

The first two books focus on two separate sets of characters and eventually their lives come together in the end of Gemina. Its mind blowing how all these lives come together for the epic end of  OBSIDIO. The planning and careful work of these to authors in this creatively written book, really brought together a story that literally reaches across the galaxy! Be warned though, there is lots of death. Lots of it, but I wont tell you who or what dies. That would ruin the whole story. But it seems to be a trend. Just be prepared for the worse possible scenario and you will fair through this book just fine. 

I do recommend this book to almost anyone now who wants a unique read that will keep your attention from start to finish. The unique format of this book is not for everyone to read physically, but I think everyone can enjoy it in audio form. Presented in the style of case files. This has file video descriptions to chat logs and it really makes these a unique adventure no one will want to miss. I think it puts "In a Galaxy Far,Far away..." to shame, but that could be because I'm not a die hard Star Wars fan as stated before. It honestly, gave me more of a Mass Effect vibe then anything else. Which I did really enjoy those video games.


 5 out of 5 stars for The Illuminae Files.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ACOTAR DREAM CAST (Will be Updated as I find more)

 So i'm doing this more for therapy than anything. I have my picks for the A Court of Thorns and Roses TV show, so here we go. *NOTE YOU...